I recently tried this recipe for frosting and filling a two layered chocolate cake. This recipe is definitely a keeper. Previously, I had not used eggs in the butter cream, but after this recipe, I am never going back to the previous method again! :)
- Boil the coffee powder in water and keep aside. Melt the chopped chocolate in a double boiler. Keep aside to cool.
- Get the butter out of the fridge and let it soften. The butter should be just soft enough to be indented by the touch of your finger.
- Meanwhile, combine the sugar and 1/3 cup water in a pan.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar, till a candy thermometer inserted shows 112 - 115 C (see this very informative link on the same http://baking911.com/quick-guide/how-to-az/candy-sugar-syrup-temperature-chart). It takes about 5 mins.
- Start beating the eggs approx 3 mins after you started boiling the sugar syrup. After the sugar syrup has reached the desired point, with the mixer running, slowly add the sugar syrup to the eggs from the side of the bowl.
- Continue to beat the eggs and sugar syrup mixture until the mixture cools down completely (about 10-15 mins with a hand mixer, 7-10 mins with a stand mixer)
- Add the butter 1tbsp a time to the above mixture, continuing to beat the whole while. Add melted chocolate and coffe mixture and continue to beat.
- There may come a time (it did happen with me) when the mixture starts looking curdled. At this point, I refrigerated the whole mixture in the fridge for half an hour and continued to beat after taking it out.
- I had to repeat the above step for about 3-4 times as it was really warm in Bangalore when I was making the frosting. I have just one tip for you, which I got from doing a ton of research in those nervous 30 mins of refrigeration and that is, don't give up!
- Keep beating and the mixture will magically come together after a while. As I was using a hand mixture, it took a really long time for the frosting to come together.
- This is enough to frost and fill a two layered 9 inch cake. I had some leftovers, which you can freeze upto 6 months. Wrap it in an air tight container. To reuse, bring it to room temperature and beat the mixture again.
- Some useful links: