Its a little twist to the classic English Trifle with pound cake, fresh seasonal fruits, brandy and custard made from scratch. Hope you will enjoy it.
Mixed Fruit - Brandy TrifleIts a little twist to the classic English Trifle with pound cake, fresh seasonal fruits, brandy and custard made from scratch. Hope you will enjoy it.Sunanda Sharma
Green apple (peeled and cut into small pieces)
Fresh mangoes (cut into small pieces)
Brandy (or any other liqueur)
- Make one 'Elvis Presley's Favourite Pound Cake' (recipe http://www.cucumbertown.com/recipes/55298/elvis-presleys-favourite-pound-cake-with-a-twist ) or any other basic butter cake of your choice.
- For the custard:
- Beat together the egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the corn flour and mix well. Keep aside.
- Heat the cream in a small saucepan. Pour the hot cream slowly in the egg-sugar mixture, beating constantly the whole time.
- When the cream is completely mixed, take the mixture back to the heat and cook on a low heat, stirring constantly until thick. Take the custard off from the heat and cover with a cling foil and let it cool.
- Put the cut apples in the brandy for 1-2 hours, till apple absorb some of the flavor from the brandy.
- Take the cut apples out from the syrup. Take the remaining brandy and add the sugar and heat it (on low flame) for 30 secs in a small saucepan (until sugar dissolves). Keep it aside to cool.
- For the assembly:
- Take a glass bowl. Cut your pound cake into small pieces. Brush a little of the brandy syrup on each piece. Assemble in the lowest layer of your glass dish.
- Add the cut fruits over the cake. Pour the custard generously over the fruits and then repeat layering in the same fashion (cake, fruits, custard)
- Top with fresh fruits and toasted walnuts.
- Cover with a cling foil and keep it in the fridge to chill for atleast 8 hours. Serve chilled.