I love chocolate tarts and I try a lot of variations, chocolate ganache tart, different kinds of chocolate pudding tarts. This is my latest attempt, for the chocolate lovers who like theirs rich, dark and fudgy! :)
Bittersweet Chocolate pudding and praline tartletsI love chocolate tarts and I try a lot of variations, chocolate ganache tart, different kinds of chocolate pudding tarts. This is my latest attempt, for the chocolate lovers who like theirs rich, dark and fudgy! :)Sunanda Sharma
For the tart base
Butter, unsalted, cut into small pieces
For the pudding
Dark chocolate, chopped
For the praline
Nuts of your choice (optional)
- For the tart shells.
Mix flour, sugar and salt. Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour mixture until you have something that resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Mix the egg and cold water and add to the above mixture and combine until the dough just comes together. Do not over do the dough or you will get a hard pastry. Cover the dough in cling foil and refrigerate until firm.
- Roll out the dough onto a lightly floured surface to about ¼ inches thick. Cut discs slightly bigger than your tart pans and gently press into them.
- Pierce the base with a fork 2-3 times. Cover the pans with aluminum foil and add weights in the pan (beans, rice etc) so that the base of the pastry does not rise during baking.
- Refrigerate the prepared tart pans before baking. Bake in a preheated overn at 200 degrees C for about 15 mins, remove the aluminum foil, reduce the oven temperature to 180 degrees C and bake for another 5 mins until the tarts brown slightly. Cool over wire racks.
- For the pudding.
Mix the sugar, cocoa powder, corn flour and egg yolks well. Take this mixture on a medium flame and slowly add milk, bringing the mixture to boil. Reduce the flame and cook until it thickens considerably.
- Bring the mixture off heat and add the chopped chocolate. Stir until the chocolate is melted completely. Cool the pudding completely before transferring to the refrigerator.
- For the praline:
Add the sugar to a clean, dry bowl. Spread it evenly. At medium flame, heat the sugar (without stirring) until the sugar slowly starts melting from the sides.
- Melt the sugar completely, as soon as it is completely melted, take the pan off the heat (This is important because at this point sugar can burn very quickly)
- If using nuts, spread them over a greased baking sheet and pour the hot caramel (prepared above) over them covering them completely. If not using any nuts, spread the caramel over a greased sheet directly. Wait for 2-3 minutes until the caramel solidifies.
- Break the solidified caramel sheet into small pieces. Keep aside.
Pour the chocolate pudding into the tart shells and top with praline. Serve :)